OK, so I found a few sites recently that focus on intuitive eating, or what I have read as mindful eating. It is something I have been interested in, have tried, but have never figured out how to do sucessfully. I really want to make a go at this and see if I can relax around food and eat leasurely. In my mind when I eat, I see myself as just shoving in my food, food over flowing, chewing as if it is a race--it's kind of gross and disgusting. I have a forkful/spoonful of food in my mouth with another already loaded while I barely chew the current one. As soon as a swallow, the new bite is shoved in there fast. I am normally the last to start eating and the first to finish, so you can see why I have this picture in my minds eye. I really want to change that picture. I want to look and feel in control, poised, like I am truely enjoying my food. I want to taste my food and not just look like I enjoy it but to truely enjoy my food. I love food--who doesn't? Why shouldn't I slow down and enjoy what I love?
So I kind of went on a tangent, so I am going to try to rein it in. To me eating mindfully or intuitively, means to slow down, eat only when I am hungry, eat only until I am full, to be in control, and to be poised when I eat. Will it be easy? I have the feeling it will not. I have the feeling this will be one of the hardest things I have ever done. Why is that? Because it is habit, maybe? Because it is hard? Because it is different? Some things to think about. I am really anxious to start this journey. I am not sure if this will work but it seems to have struck a chord. This is how my children eat and I think I have mentioned I want to eat a little more like them. I have a lot of bagage that I will undoubtedly be working through and I know that will be scarey sometimes, but I really hope this is the key to being healthy and losing weight comes as a by product.
So I will be focusing on eating only when I am hungry, putting my fork down between bites and stopping when I am not hungry/satisfied. When I want to eat when I am not hungry, I will have to work on why I turn to food. This should be interesting
1 comment:
Sounds to me like you know what to do. It's not easy to do what you know to do every day, but I have faith in you! I'm here to support you :)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.